Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mission Accomplished!

The goal of today's blog is to assist anyone who is considering such a walk for themselves. This was the first of it's kind for me, and I've learned much in the process. I hope what I've learned and have to share with you, will prove helpful for you, as well.


Here's the STATS from my walk:


Age: 46
Gender: Female (Had six children, no excuse for the moms to say they can't do it.)
Weight: 115
Height: 5'2 1/2
Terrain: Indoors - Treadmill
Distance: 26 miles
Weight carried: 30 lbs. (basically a small child), for 11 3/4 miles.
                         20 lbs. (a bit smaller child), for 14 1/4 miles
Incline: 4% incline for 6 miles (miles 11-17)
Time to complete: 9 hours, 53 minutes, 07 seconds
Previous long distance walks or marathons: None
Estimated calories burned: 2600




Part of the reason I'm being so detailed in my blog today....I want an easy reference of do's and don'ts for the next time I do it!!!!




I've broken down the information into five sections:


1. Why I chose as I did.
2. The importance of having a purpose.
3. Pre-Walk checklist.
4. Walk checklist
5. Post-Walk checklist
6. How did I feel post-walk?




1. WHY I CHOSE AS I DID


As many of you know, I set out to do a 26 mile weighted walk yesterday. I've never walked this far in one shot. I'm not a marathon runner, etc. I initially had my outdoor map all set, mileage meticulously planned out, etc., however, due to circumstances out of my control, I had to change the date a couple times and finally came to the conclusion that if I was to get this done, I better just plan it in a way that didn't involve so many arrangements, such as, switching clients around, arranging sitters and rides for my kids, moving appointments, figuring out clothing (layering), for the ever changing Utah weather, restroom stops, etc. Half the battle for getting this walk done is finding the time to do it, as it takes about 10 hours to accomplish. I found the best solution for me was to do this walk on the old dreadmill, I mean treadmill. It eliminated 98% of the issues that kept bumping my walk to another day, so the treadmill was what I went with.


I've compiled the information in an orderly fashion for quick reference should you decide to do your own "Mission Walk", "Marathon Walk", "Ruck", or whatever you choose to call it.




2. THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A PURPOSE


I believe one must have an underlying purpose for accomplishing anything they set out to do. Give it meaning, personalize it, attach your emotions to it, and set the ball rolling. Having a purpose gives you inner drive to see things through to the end. As you encounter difficulties along your journey, pull up your purpose and use it to propel you forward, and give you strength. I use this method with all my training, and find it beneficial. Even if you're doing one set of something, make sure you have a purpose or it can become a 'cumbersome' activity. I find this is also the main reason "New Year" resolutions are typically abandoned by the end of the third month:

LACK OF PURPOSE = NO MEANING = NO EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT = NO PERSONALIZATION = FAILURE!

TIGHT BODY BOOT CAMP'S METHOD FOR SUCCESS IN ANY AREA OF YOUR LIFE...

PURPOSE + PERSONALIZATION + MEANING + EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT = SUCCESS!!!

My recipe works. Try it and see for yourself.


I chose to personalize this workout by naming it my "Mission Walk" for two reasons:


1. It was done as a tribute to fallen soldiers.
2. I took it as a personal "Mission" to get it done.




3. THE PRE-WALK CHECKLIST


A. ROUTE / CLOTHING
If you're planning on walking outdoors, know your route well. Know ahead of time where you can get food, water, supplies like tape, use a restroom, etc. Know when it gets light out, dark out, what weather to expect, and how to dress for it. One challenge in dressing for this for me outdoors was dressing warm enough in the morning (32 degrees), yet staying cool enough in the afternoon (60 degrees), and not hauling another bag to tote clothes, water, sunscreen, etc., in adding to my weight. Decide what works for you. You might be able to have someone meet you at a specific location to hand off clothes to, refuel, and be on your way.




B. FOOTWEAR
Footwear is as personal as the deodorant you use. When putting in mega miles it's important to find footwear that suits your needs. Many would choose a pair of hiking boots of some type, others a different kind of boot, still others athletic shoes, and yet others five finger shoes. I choose to go with athletic shoes, as this is what MY feet are most accustomed to, as I teach many classes and formats, my feet seem to like them, and they provide ample lateral support and cushion. I did a no-no though and purchased a new pair just for this walk without ever having worn the brand, or even wore them for a couple hours prior to the walk.  I don't suggest doing what I did, as you want to know the feel of your shoes BEFORE you start walking, not during. Be sure whatever you choose is durable, relatively lightweight, breathable, cushioned, and has good lateral support. You may want to consider a gel insert, if necessary.


C. TAPE
Yep, good old adhesive first aid tape is my preference. I had 3 nice blisters forming at mile five. I had put on the wrong pair of shoes inadvertently (my old ones, I was on autopilot), which had too much free play in them. I ignored until mile ten when I couldn't bear it any longer. Blisters can turn you around fast my friends, they'll knaw at you every single step and with greater intensity and pain then you can imagine. I taped my feet at ten miles, put on my new shoes, and was good to go and pain free (blister wise, lol), the remainder of the walk. Had I taped to begin with, I would have had NO BLISTERS! Practice taping, as it is an art. Too tight and you'll cut off your circulation, and have to stop to redo it again and lose time, wait too long and you might lose a couple toes. Wrap too loose and the tape will begin to slide around in your sock, eventually knotting up like a rock in your shoe, no good. Practice.


D. FUEL  / SUPPLEMENT PROPERLY
There is no one way, right way to fuel. The only 'right' way to fuel, is to do what works FOR YOU! I chose to carb load for three days prior, and had a rather good time at it, lol. This worked perfect for me, for this workout this week. If I do it again in a year, I might choose differently only because our bodies are changing all the time. I chose to begin supplementing heavy 36 hours prior. I supplement with what MY body needs. You must decide what areas of weakness you have which might need to be covered with supplements. An example of a few I chose are: Vitamin C to bump up the immune system, B Complex because it gets used up quickly under stress, and B12 for the same reason plus I'm not a heavy meat eater. Choose things you feel are applicable to you and the conditions you'll be facing.


E. PACK WISELY
Small and lightweight. Sunscreen, chapstick, cell phone, and iPod or whatever.




4. WALK CHECKLIST


A. KEEP YOUR SHOES SNUG BUT NOT TOO TIGHT
If your shoes are too tight your feet will be screaming at you by the end of the first mile, listen! If your shoes are too loose, you'll begin to feel the makings of blisters from where there's too much sliding/rubbing going on, you'll know by mile five if they're too loose, listen! If they're just right, Congratulations Goldilocks! Your feet will by happy the remainder. Keep tape nearby though, 'just in case'.


B. CADENCE
Set your end time goal time. Figure out how many miles per hour you'll need to keep pace to reach your desired outcome. If you think you know what 3 or 4 mph feels like, I suggest getting on a treadmill anyway for a good hour at your desired pace, and memorize the feel of it. If you begin going slower due to a blister, you'll lose time, and your end result. Do your best to keep the cadence the entire time. Many times we believe we're at cadence, but as we tire our perception can become misconstrued.


C. DISTRIBUTE YOUR WEIGHT EVENLY
If you favor one foot more than another your body will let know know by mile five, given you have chosen the proper load for yourself. You see, as you fatigue various parts of your body will be kicking in and out, as the mileage rolls on. For instance, you might only feel your shoulders burning the first five miles, hips and back kick in 5 thru 26 miles, legs miles 10 thru 26, calves knot at 15 thru 26, calves begin locking the knee around mile 18 thru 26, then all the above and more let you know they're working hard miles 18 thru 26. Get the picture. If you cater one side of your body, be it shoulder, hip, knee or foot, you increase your chances of injury both during the walk, and after the fact. Stay neutral.


D. FOOD AND WATER
Have your fuel ready to go, nothing complicated. Items that are easily stored, easily consumed, easily digested, no fuss! Ditto water.


E. KNOW WHEN YOUR BREAKS ARE
I generally planned a 5 minute rest per every hour, because I'm a bit high strung, I skipped the 5 minute breaks and opted going longer, and having a longer break. For instance, I skipped the first two breaks and then took a 15 minute break after 3 hours. Do whatever works for you, and your circumstances.


F. PLAN  YOUR BREAKS
Know what you want to do on your break BEFORE you stop, or you'll lose time. Also, be aware, the longer you break the harder everything becomes especially after mile 17, the harder and more painful it is to get started again...


BE MENTALLY PREPARED!!! 




I had my break down to a fine art:


1. Strip the weight off!
2. Strip the shoes off.
3. Hydrate
4. Refuel
5. Restroom
6. Fresh socks, if necessary (Okay, maybe it's just a girl thing)
7. Quick Stretch: Quads, hams, hips, calves, feet, back, chest, shoulders, neck: and rotations too!
8. Make an online update
9. Get the weights on and GO!!!!!!


All in 15 minutes!




G. CHECK YOUR LOAD FREQUENTLY
Be sure  you're carrying it as efficiently as possible. Be sure you're moving it as different areas tire. Be sure you're moving it carefully. As we fatigue, form and technique become that much more important! Keep your focus, and stay tight. It's when we relax the muscles, those worn out joints discover they can move, and they will. If you're wearing a vest, be sure to cinch it regularly, as they tend to loosen up while carrying loads, and moving all over the place.


H. STACK YOUR JOINTS
By stacking your joints, you make it easier on all of them. For instance, keep your knees over toes, hips over knees, shoulders over hips, and your chin up.


I. WELCOME INCLINES
My hips appreciated the incline as it provided relief to an area of the hip that was overtaxed, ditto calves, back, etc. Inclines will move the pressure to different areas providing relief to the old ones.


J. KEEP NECESSITIES AT HAND, EASY TO GET TO.
This means your cell phone, etc. Nothing like having to put down your load to look for your phone.


K. USE DISTRACTION
When things begin to feel overwhelming, distract yourself, do a reality check. Go over your purpose again, and again, and again, feel the meaning to your walk, and press forward. Make yourself laugh, after all, you have lots of time to think. :)




5. POST WALK CHECKLIST
You'll be tempted to fall to the ground after, but don't. Have someone snap a picture of you before you drop your weight! Then:


1. Strip the weight
2. Strip the shoes, socks, tape, etc.
3. Rehydrate
4. Refuel
5. Stretch (this should take place within 5-7 minutes max of stopping, or you'll begin to tighten up)
6. Shower
7. Put your feet up
8. Be aware of your vital signs: blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, etc.
9. Use supplements, if necessary.
10. Rest, walk, stretch, rest, walk, stretch, rest, walk, stretch.......you get the idea. You need to rest, but rest to long without moving and you'll become a stiff board. You'll recover faster by moving the blood, increasing circulation, and stretching on a regular basis.


6. HOW DID I FEEL POST-WALK?


The Day of: 
I reached an ungodly total body pain at 21 miles and it progressed as the remaining miles closed in. It seemed more like an out of body experience by 24 miles, lol. I finished by 3:30 p.m. and could barely walk the rest of the day. For some reason when I finished I had the cold chills which eventually broke into a low grade fever, and was a bit nauseated. The nausea and fever broke, and chills hung on till almost morning, then they were gone for good. I'm assuming it was caused from shocking the body, you know, wake up and , "guess what we're doing today body", type of thing. I made it a point to massage the lower body within 30 minutes of finishing, moved, stretched, rubbed in salves (I'm a Master Herbalist), used the Chi machine, homeopathics, supplements, drank a high volume of water to keep waste, lactic acid, and other metabolic breakdown by-products to a minimum in my bloodstream, and hit the sack early. I woke midnight repeated the whole process again, and hoped for the best. I didn't take any over-the-counter stuff. 

The Day After:

 The next morning I was stiff and sore, but the pain was greatly reduced. I went through my regimen a couple more times during the day. Worked shoulders for an hour (started lighter weight, never made it to my usual numbers, stayed about 5-10 lbs. lighter), and all things upper body for another hour, lightweight, to get the kinks out. Made sure I moved regularly, and by the time I left to teach two Zumba classes (Latin dance, a lot of leg/hip work), I felt really good. My classes went great, all the movement loosened joints up further, and all I had after classes was a slight limp due to some tenderness on the lateral left foot. I went through my regimen one final time before hitting the sack. 

Two Days After

Outside of an immense burning/pinching pain in the shoulder when I pick up a heavy object, I feel like I've had a GREAT total body workout. I believe the shoulder will settle down in time, as the kinks and tightness continue to be worked out.


Well, there you have it! If you decide to 'Go the Mile', or 26 in this case, let me know how it went for you. What worked for you, and what didn't.


Health!





























No comments:

Post a Comment