Monday, September 20, 2010

WHAT'S THE RUSH....ENJOY YOUR SEASON

So I'm shopping at one of my favorite warehouse places, and can't help but notice the Christmas items out on display. Believe it or not, they've been out now for a few weeks. Talk about anxiety ridden, no, not me, I mean the individuals who just can't wait to get this stuff out on the floor. Is it just me, or does it seem to appear earlier and earlier each year? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the holidays, but WHOA baby, one at a time, please. It's just now entering fall, then we have Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I feel for anyone who has a birthday or anniversary, or some other significant event in their life, as well, during this time. 

So, as I gaze amongst the displays, I can't help but make an analogy of this with our lives. I have often run into someone in high school who just can't wait until they get out of it. Single women who regularly entertain the idea that "when they meet so and so", or they've meet so and so but just can't wait to get married. The married who can't wait to have kids, the college student who can't wait to graduate, the potential employee who can't wait to get on with a good company, the working who can't wait to retire, and the retired who wished they had taken the time to savor a few more areas of their lives. I find myself guilty of this at times myself.

Of course, we all have these thoughts cross our minds, it's natural. We are meant to progress, however, let's not do it at the expense of missing out on the present goodies laid out in our lives at the moment. If you're raising your kids, enjoy raising them. If your single, enjoy the parts of being single that others long for. If you're looking for that ultimate job, career, make the best of where you are at, and learn all you can while you are there. If you're in school, be in the moment, it makes it a lot easier to study, pass tests, and look back with no regrets.

Before my oldest son passed on, I knew he would not be with us long. I was blessed to have practically my entire family with me at the time. I kept insisting everyone take pictures, then I'd go change my clothes, and my sons, and insist on more pictures, and again, and again, and again.  Looking back at his scrapbook, you would think he was here much longer than he was.  I'm very grateful for the memories, the pictures that keep everything on top of my pile, reminding me of what is truly important to me in my life.  I desire to enjoy every step, every stage, and celebrate the moments of my life with the people I love so dearly. 

May each of you enjoy the present, plan for the future, and actively engage in the process of making your dreams come true. 

Enjoy your season!


No comments:

Post a Comment