Saturday, January 28, 2012

Food for Thought.....

"Every decision you make - every decision - is not a decision about what to do. It's a decision about Who You Are. When you see this, when you understand it, everything changes. You begin to see life in a new way. All events, occurrences, and situations turn into opportunities to do what you came here to do."        
- Neale Donald Walsch

MY EXPERIMENT
So I did an experiment yesterday after posting this quote on my Face Book page in the wee hours of the morning. I challenged myself to not only think about my decisions throughout the day, but also base them on 'WHO I AM' vs. 'WHAT I NEED TO DO'.  The outcome was nothing short of a very real, down to earth, humbling lesson taught to me by life itself, based on personal character.

WHAT I FOUND
I found that many of the decisions I had been making on a regular basis where completely made on a 'What I need to do' basis, almost in an auto-pilot type of way. When I weighed the difference between 'What I felt I needed to do', with 'Who I am', I found the outcomes to be completely different! Not only were the outcomes different, but also how I felt on the inside was different, this was perhaps, the most surprising element of discovery.

WHAT'S ON THE INSIDE?
Feelings, character, values, and a feeling of responsibility to both self and others. Yes, I had discovered making choices about 'What I needed to do', came from an almost non-emotional base, whereas making decisions based on 'Who I am', were made with real feeling. It mattered what I wore, how I wore my make-up, how I spoke to others, drove my car, prioritized priorities, and what and how I ate. It affected literally everything I normally do on a daily basis. No lie.

WHO ARE YOU?

ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE?
Come'on, I dare you! Do it. Make every decision based on WHO YOU ARE vs. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO, for an entire day, and learn VOLUMES about yourself and how you function in the world, and within yourself. Better yet, perform this challenge on two days of the week, one weekend day, and one week day. The week day ought to be real interesting, make sure you do it on a day when your plate is fully loaded. 

May you learn as much and even more about yourself than I did.

Health!!

No comments:

Post a Comment